Friday, March 6, 2015

QUEST FOR FIRE – Memories from the drive-in

           The other day I did my routine viewing of the 1981 film Quest for Fire. I watch it every few years, for one because I like it and two, it reminds me of my childhood going to the drive-in. I saw it on a double feature with Conan the Barbarian…what a great bill! I can still remember sitting on the hood of my parents’ car and leaning back on the windshield watching this epic movie. Well by today’s standards it’s not all that epic, but for me as a child it was. When the previews for it hit TV, I saw cavemen and wooly mammoths, I had to see it!
            It’s amazing how the drive-in experience seemed so great, but in reality it sucked. The sound was pure crap. Basically all the sound came through a beaten up speaker that you would hang on the car window. I am sure there was some crystal clear sound going through those suckers! Then you had to deal with the weather elements. That is a whole other issue. Also there were distractions of people getting intoxicated, acting like fools and brawling. If drive-ins were still the norm I am sure the crime would be worse…but would create some great people watching!

            The first time I saw a movie in an actual theater was seeing The Empire Strikes Back. That was a whole new experience. The place was clean, the picture was clear and the sound was upgraded. I also remember one of the theater patrons looked like Mark Hamill. Luke Skywalker made a guest appearance.
            Not to get off track, but back to the prehistoric movie in discussion. The film only looks slightly dated, mainly because of the wooly mammoth effects. However, all in all, it remains a great piece of primitive story telling. I am not going to get all into the plot but the direction does a great job of turning one problem into a cool adventure for the three main Cro-Magnon protagonists. The film’s dialog is made up completely of languages created by Anthony Burgess. Not much sense would be made with cavemen speaking a modern language.
            The cast is pretty interesting. The lead character is played by Everett McGill who you may recognize playing villains in films such as The People Under the Stairs, Silver Bullet and Under Siege 2…..oh and Dune. Also starring, from Sons of Anarchy fame, is Ron Perlman. Perlman, making his film debut, didn’t need much make-up to look like a caveman. Rae Dawn Chong, Tommy Chong’s daughter, plays an annoying cavewoman. A little known fact is professional wrestlers The Exotic Adrian Street and Giant Haystacks had small parts as well.

            Currently the movie is streaming on Netflix. Go check it out. It will make you appreciate running water and a bar of soap.

No comments:

Post a Comment