Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Cleaning out the Attic

As the title suggests, I was going through some old things up in the attic. I came across everything from 80’s action figures to stacks of old magazines: Famous Monsters of Filmland, Metal Maniacs, The Wild Rag (remember that underground label Wild Rags?), Pro Wrestling Illustrated and The Ring. What I thought would be a 30-minute job transformed into a two hour journey of reminiscing.
The gray plastic bin towards the back wall was a Pandora’s Box of memories. Inside, it was compacted with lots of old Houston metal/punk show fliers and issues of both Public News and Riveted. Back in the early 90s the Public News was the go to Houston publication for listings of all the show venues at that time: The Vatican/The Abyss, Backstage, After Dark, The Axiom/Catal Huyuk, Goat’s Head Soup, The Asylum, Emos and more. Riveted was a newsprint paper that focused mainly on metal. Too bad it is out of print. So anyway, below I posted a small portion of the stuff that was saved. Many good times were had back then.

2 comments:

  1. I love the misspellings of Pestilence and Carcass on that flyer for Fitz.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha yes I thought that was retarded. I guess at the time they thought it was funny.

    ReplyDelete