Sunday, November 27, 2011

Iapetus - rehearsal update


Recently I traveled to the Rhythm Room to watch local band Iapetus take part in a rehearsal. They recently made some internal changes and wrote a handful of new songs. So I was extremely interested to hear what they have been working on. Needless to say, I was pretty damn impressed. They combined the raw simplicity of early Bathory with some really cool melodies. Definitely a first wave of black metal style mixed with a traditional rock approach.

I was a fan of their earlier material, but the new outlook helped them rise to another level. The songs alternated quite a bit between tempo changes. While listening I was envisioning the songs in a live setting and seeing the crowd going off to the catchy riffs. Each song was memorable and not just a blur of noise. That is a key element in a black metal band. No one, well at least I don’t, wants to listen to a band that sounds as if they are playing the same song over and over. That can become boring in a short period of time.

I was delighted to be informed that Iapetus will be recording in a studio soon. Their debut demo will definitely be something to look forward to. I feel this band has great chemistry and sure it will reflect in the studio.
For the practice, I planned to bring my video camera for some footage. I had it all packed, charged and ready to go. Right before leaving I watched the UFC fight Velasquez vs. Dos Santos. Upon its conclusion I raced out the door….without the video camera. That mistake really angers me, because I really wish there was some footage to include here. Well that will have to wait for next time.
As for their rehearsal, it was complete a little before 11 pm. In theory I had planned to arrive back at home before midnight. Well that did not happen. We talked outside the practice space until about 2 am. Very important topics were being discussed such as Charles Bronson’s filmography and zombie movies. Those are two imperative things in my life.

***Update - Iapetus will begin their studio sessions today. When complete, expect a full report.

No comments:

Post a Comment