Wednesday, August 6, 2014

Nirvana: 20 Years Later

Here we are 20 years after Kurt Cobain’s suicide and Nirvana’s music is still big news. Also with Nirvana’s recent Rock and Roll Hall of Fame induction, the band’s status has risen to another level. People still flock to anything associated with the group, everything from the conspiracy murder theories to the music itself. All the long lasting media attention still pales in comparison to the whirlwind of when the Nevermind album conquered the music industry. The mania was everywhere, saturating both radio and television. Complete insanity went amok as sheep-like people jumped on the speeding ship.



I remember being a senior in high school and my thoughts the first time seeing the “Smells like Teen Spirit” video. I could hear a genuine underground punk rock ethos within the music. Did I foresee it exploding in popularity? No not at all. I figured they would be one of those cool bands that would be trapped on MTV’s 120 Minutes time slot. Of course I was quite wrong. Once the momentum grew, every idiot around was listening to Nirvana. That alone left a bad taste in my mouth. Suddenly I completely despised the band. Anytime someone spoke about them, I countered with a negative rebuttal. Something along the lines of, “fuck that weak shit, listen to Pungent Stench.” I voiced pure venom for all their singles. Looking back, I know now my juvenile hatred was mostly directed towards the majority of Nirvana’s mainstream fans. That section in time was a grand example of how the corporate train picked up on something special and completely crammed it down everyone’s throats with exhaustive promotion. When Cobain killed himself, I had just graduated Marine Corps boot camp. I was immune to his passing. He was just a pathetic junkie that killed himself. I thought it was moronic how all these people were crying as if they had known him personally. Graduation from boot camp was all that was on my mind. Upon my arrival home, I was shocked to see punk band Greenday on MTV. They were just a punk band on independent label Lookout Records that had just jumped to the big leagues. No question that Nirvana’s success had opened the door for more “punk” bands to take a stab at the limelight. That is a whole other story.
It’s funny how a person’s tastes and thoughts change with age. All these years later, I now truly appreciate the band’s work. Their discography is filled with artistic brilliance. From the early singles and the Bleach LP to the major label releases, all great material. Their songs have pop hooks but still a rough edge. They paid their dues early on with touring and living in terrible conditions. Then almost over night the band became immortal. Did the success and fame come too quickly for them to handle? Yes I think so. Were they mentally equipped for the responsibility? No, they were not. In my eyes, they were an honest, underground band that idolized the Melvins. They had a catchy sound and hoped to put out a few records. Unfortunately their ascension to the top left some casualties, but then again that’s standard practice in mainstream music.

No comments:

Post a Comment