Friday, February 13, 2015

CRO-MAGS – Alpha Omega….the hidden gem.

Here of late I’ve been constantly listening to the Cro-Mags’ album Alpha Omega. I’ve had it in my collection for many years and every so often it becomes saturated in my car speakers for a few weeks.


I would say Alpha Omega is an overlooked gem in the band’s discography. Most prefer their fantastic debut, Age of Quarrel. There are also the diehards that stand by the thrash metal monster Best Wishes. However I rarely hear anyone say anything positive about their 3rd LP. Most people consider it along with Near Death Experience their worst output.
When first released, the album had some hype behind it. Century Media was the releasing label and had high hopes for the record, especially since it was almost a reunion the original line-up. I remember seeing many full page ads for it in major metal publications. At the time it was somewhat of a broadening of boundaries for Century Media because they were known mostly for death metal productions.
They released a video for the song The Path to Perfection and I first saw it on the Headbanger’s Ball television show. I was disappointed. I hated it. I expected some grand comeback.


This sounds contradictory to my earlier words. So after it had been out in the market for a few years, I finally bought it and the music definitely grew on me. Overall the album is a mid tempo metal style that is filled with that signature Cro-Mag guitar crunch sound. The dual vocals of John Joseph and Harley Flannigan compliment the music perfectly. Although pure metal, when listening one can definitely tell it is the Cro-Mags. Of course there is the rap/DJ record spinning part that totally ruins the song “Eyes of Tomorrow,” but a CD player makes it easy to skip that song. Oh the only other complaint is the terrible band photo. I suppose they were trying to look less "hardcore" and more "metal." Not sure, but it is a pretty hilarious image.
The follow up, Near Death Experience is a lesser effort. Easily the worst release of their catalog. Then of course there was Revenge, which I really like. The mixture of pure hardcore and melodic punk works for me. However, I feel it should not have been a Cro-Mags release. It was basically a continuation of the band White Devil.

Throughout all the band’s releases, other than the debut, they have all been splintered pieces of the core line up. It is definitely interesting to wonder how the band would have fared had they just gotten along. Regardless, the Cro-Mags is a legendary name in independent music. They will continue to attract new fans with their records and the partial line up tours.

Here's a another one from the Alpha Omega photo shoot, hilarious.

No comments:

Post a Comment