Wednesday, May 20, 2015

DRESS CODE - S/T EP Review


     Dress Code is a band that has been pretty active on the live scene, but unfortunately I have not had the privilege of seeing them live. From what I’ve seen on videos, they seem to be an entertaining live act. Also I have heard great feedback about them from peers.
What initially drew me to them is their band name. I like names that make the listener think. That tells me the band has some real creativity, which also should lead to some great music. With Dress Code that statement is true.
Their sound ranges from blistering speed to mid tempo punk rock. I must add that the songs never pass the 2 minute mark. Actually many of their songs are just under a minute. I definitely get an early DC punk vibe mixed with early British hardcore similar to Intense Degree. Once the music explodes in a rapid fashion, the barking vocals aggressively jump right into the flow. I love this kind of music; it is honest, fast and to the point. The production on this EP is better than their 2013 demo but I recommend both.
The rapid, raw music works hand in hand with the bleak black and white cover art. The image is simple but very effective. I love the whole package. To my knowledge, their material is available for digital download only, but they would make for a great 7”.


No comments:

Post a Comment