Wednesday, June 3, 2015

SPECTRAL MANIFEST – Forbidden Arts single

Forbidden Arts cover art     First off, I must say it is refreshing that this band finally has quality recordings out. For the longest time they only had live and rehearsal material available. Those recordings were cool in a raw, old-school way but did not give the band a proper representation. If you’ve seen this power trio live, you know the sheer wall of heaviness they churn out.
     Last year they finally released their superb self titled debut. It was a great mixture of early retrograde death metal that made me feel as if I was back in 1991 listening to it on a cassette. Filled with plenty of moody Pestilence and early Vital Remains (Let Us Pray) riffing, the CD really tickled my fancy. In a much more aggressive manner, it really reminded me of one of my personal favorites, Baphomet’s The Dead Shall Inherit.
     Now that I have jumped off topic, let me get back to the single. The track opens with a doomy, Cianide-like riff that leads into a mid tempo medley that surrounds some sickening, deep death metal growls. There are some blast beats intertwined, but for the most part the cadence stays the same. The playing is extremely tight complemented with a thick production that this music demands.
     Also, I really like the art included. It seems to be Photoshop composite work, but for me, it works perfectly. As with the music, the cover has a very vintage feel. Although totally different, it reminds me of the artwork for the Napalm Death Suffer the Children 12” single.

The band is offering it FREE at the link below. So there is nothing to lose, go download it. I do not think you will be unsatisfied. http://spectralmanifest.bandcamp.com/track/forbidden-arts

No comments:

Post a Comment