Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Austin Music Buying Journey


Every few months I take a trip up to Austin to visit friends and to hit record stores. This past weekend’s trip was a successful one. End of an Ear Records was loaded with many items I wanted to get. $200 could have easily been spent.
As seen in the photo, I got some great books covering two of the most influential hardcore scenes, Why Be Something That You’re Not: Detroit Hardcore 1979-1985 and Making a Scene: New York Hardcore 1985-1988. I haven’t had to time to read them, but just skimming through the pages was a great treat. Filled with lots of great photos and commentary, I already know they will be winners.
Not pictured is Godflesh Streetcleaner. I owned this classic industrial heaviness on a recorded cassette years ago but have procrastinated many, many years in buying this on CD. Luckily I found a used copy for $5. Also a big plus is that it’s a double disc version with live, demo and alternate mixes. The wait was well worth it.
The other CD purchased was the latest by Ceremony, The L-Shaped Man. That is a fantastic release! I had been a fan, but since seeing them with the Cro-Mags a few years ago I was really  won over. The band does get some crap from long time listeners hating their style changes. However, I like all their material, hardcore to post punk.
All that is great, but the highlight purchase was The Class of Nukem High soundtrack. For years I searched for those songs. I couldn’t even find a bootleg of them. So finally, last year, The Ship to Shore Phonograph Company and Troma gave it a proper vinyl release with download card. It features new artwork that looks great; but I would have preferred the original movie poster art. The download version also has some commentary tracks from Lloyd Kaufman. I expected to hear some interesting details but to my disappointment it was just babbling.



In 1986, I remember being an 11 year old renting Nukem High from the long dead Video Club. The punk rock look of the film, high school partying and graphic violence went hand in hand. Although the music is more straight 80s rock than punk, it still thrives in rebellious leather. The most recognizable bands on the record are The Smithereens and Stratus (featuring Iron Maiden’s Clive Burr, RIP).
Even listening to it now totally brings me back to the feeling of growing up in the 80s. With no exaggeration, the listening experience mentally threw me back to those school halls. It was a magical time discovering punk, hardcore and metal.



 

No comments:

Post a Comment