Thursday, March 1, 2018

DEAD STUFF - Bayou City Sludge Mutilation


Dead Stuff sounds like everything from death metal to stoner rock. What are your influences and what goes into writing a song? 
Charles:  I like all types of music, but I gravitate to thrash.  I listen to a lot of pop too, because there’s nothing like a good, strong melody.  I like to say that my favorite songwriters are Dave Grohl, Robb Flynn, Butch Walker and Jason Bieler.  All four of those have such a strong sense of melody.  That may not be reflected in the bands that I’ve been in or the riffs that I write, but it’s in there in my DNA.
Derek: I grew up listening to all sorts of music and have played in some pretty diverse bands. We each have different sensibilities, and the combination has made for songs that wind up more interesting to us.
Cory:  I find influences in all kinds of music. Anything from Tori Amos to the almighty Slayer.


What I find really cool about your band is that you’re willing to play with any band regardless of style. Is that due to all the members being fans of multiple music genres?
Charles:  I’ve always found bills that have the same kind of band to be boring.  When we play a show, I’m there as a fan too.  I want to hear and discover new and cool bands.  I like variety and playing with bands of a different style also opens your music up to an audience that wouldn’t necessarily see you.  We’ve had some people come up and say that they dug what they heard, and that they normally don’t like heavy music. 
Derek: I get cranky watching copies of the same band all night. Diverse bills are more fun to see and to play.
Cory: That plays a part but we also love playing with our friends. I love playing shows with multiple "genres". It’s a great way to hear something new.


Your band sounds great as a power trio. However, are there any thoughts in adding a second guitarist?
Charles:  We’ve never really discussed this, but as much as I’m a fan of the guitar duo, I’m not really interested in having a second guitar player just double whatever I’m playing. Working out of a trio is something I’ve always loved, and having a strong rhythm section that can shine is something that I find inspiring.  Both Derek and Cory are such better musicians than I am, that it drives me to do better, to try and push my boundaries. 
Derek: I think Charles should get a multi-neck guitar and be his own second guitarist.
Cory: Nope. Charles is more than capable of getting the job done

Dead Stuff has been playing live pretty often. When can we expect some recordings? I am definitely ready to hear you in the studio.
Charles:  Hopefully soon! 
Derek: We're finishing up some DIY recordings at the moment. You'd be surprised how many tracks of vibraslap you can force into a song.
Cory: Working on a recording as we speak.

Do you feel the traditional rock band is a dying breed? This is especially alarming considering the kids that only know mainstream music are being force fed garbage.
Charles: As long as there’s convention, there will always be someone fighting to go against the grain.  So while there may be a proliferation of bands that have no identity, there will always those that stand out because of the conviction and honesty that rings through their music.
Derek: I think the whole environment is changing. Things aren't as straightforward as they used to be. I don't know if it's bad or good, but sincerity matters. I'll be playing music even if I have to do it alone in my room banging on pots and pans.
Cory: I feel it’s always been that way. There is good music you just need to know where to look.

What do your lyrics cover? Do you have an overall theme or do you just write about whatever is on your mind?
Derek: I don't know but there's a lot of yelling.
Cory: A wide variety of themes from death to being lame. Not really a theme. We write about a bunch of things.

Final thoughts.
Charles:  I’d like to thank you Jeff for the interview, and giving us the opportunity to get our name out there.  I’m looking to writing more tunes with my brothers Cory and Derek, and sharing the stage with some killer bands, especially Khobretti!
Derek: Come see a show. Take your pants off. Buy a shirt for a handsome friend. Ask us why the fuck we're playing in B. Thanks Feral Noise!
Cory: I love playing with these two dudes talented and handsome!
https://www.facebook.com/deadstuff666/




No comments:

Post a Comment