Tuesday, January 13, 2015

Gamera: Legacy Collection 1965-1999

See the source image
I suppose with the new Godzilla movie doing so well in the theaters, we are seeing re-issues of old Japanese Monster Movies…or Kaiju for you nerds. Several Godzilla titles have just been released on Blu-ray and I heard a re-issue of Destroy All Monsters is hitting stores as well.
So I came across this Gamera DVD collection. I was intrigued that it had the entire movie series (11 films) with the exception of Gamera the Brave. Most of the titles I already owned on VHS or DVD. Of course these were all the American dubbed and chopped up versions, basically the versions that were shown regularly on TV in the 80s.
Initially I figured this collection was the same run of the mill versions. To my delight, these were all the original Japanese versions with subtitles. In this original format the movies flow so much better. With that being said, a highlight of this Legacy collection is the uncut version of Gamera vs. Guiron. The infamous scene of Guiron chopping Gyaos to pieces is included!

RetrOmedia and Alpha Video released some of the earlier films with a terrible transfer. Also they all were under their American titles…(Destroy All Planets, War of the Monsters, Return of the Giant Monsters, etc.). Luckily the Legacy collection is unrelated to these previous versions. These movies on the Legacy Collection do not look re-mastered, but they do look pretty damn good. Especially the premier movie of the series, Gamera: The Giant Monster. The black & white images look great. My old VHS version released in 1987 by King Features Entertainment is terrible. So the $7.99 I spent on this set was worth it for that movie alone.
See the source image

No comments:

Post a Comment