Thursday, March 12, 2015

Nephilim Terror - Blackened Death Metal Melody


Interview conducted with Tom/Guitarist.
First off, I must congratulate you on the Saturnus EP. That is a fantastic release both in the music and recording! Give some details on the writing and recording?
Thanks! It was quite an experience getting it done. By the time I got back in the band the material on Saturnus had already been written mostly by guitarist Marvin Ruiz and drummer Blake Allison, both very solid musicians who can seriously write a tune. For the recording and mastering process we went through Corey Redick at Serra Studios in La Marque Texas. Corey really did an outstanding job making that album as heavy as it could possibly be, and we are all very pleased with the final product.
                                                                           
Your band has always had a great sound. I first saw you live at a Sound Exchange show some years ago. At the time the band sounded great, but you really have morphed into a mature, brutal sound. The death metal element is still strong in your music, but I do sense some black metal influences as well. Has this been a gradual progression?  
I would say it’s always been there. In the beginning when we were getting our very first songs out, I really felt it was important to keep that kind of black metal/Scandinavian style in the writing. We are all big melo-death and black metal fans, so that will always come out. The death metal aspect actually came a little later, trying to be a littler heavier
Vocally and musically Nephilim Terror is a complete extreme metal band. I know there has been a lot of hard work put forth. Can you please tell us about your beginnings and how this group all came about? 
I can do my best, haha. Blake responded to an ad that I had put out on Craigslist looking for people to start a band with. I also had just recently met a bass player named Ryan, who was also going to school for audio engineering at the time, so I got him in on it. The three of us met up for the first time and we had our first song down in it’s entirety in about an hour or so. It was one of those “we just kinda clicked” moments. Trying to find another guitarist, Blake had played in a band with Marvin, and he fit in naturally as well. And then there was this kid Danny who would skip school and hang out with me and come to practices, who just so happened to do vocals, and it turned out he was one of the best vocalists I’ve ever heard. So we really lucked out there. He was another perfect fit. We had our first show March, 5 2009 at Texas Metal Fest opening for Carcass and Suicide Silence.


In a previous conversation you mentioned the band going through a possible line-up change. How is that going and when do we expect to see you back on the stage? 
Yeah, recently Danny and Marvin have parted ways from the band mutually. Both just wanting to do something different musically, which we totally support and understand. We have a new vocalist, Sean McFarlin, who just slays, and we are currently trying out guitarists. Hopefully after getting the guitarist situation figured out, we can start playing some shows again.

I know you had taken a hiatus from the band but are now back in full force. How has the writing been with your renewed input? 
Good, I hope! Haha. From the start my basic elements when writing for this band have always been catchy melodic lines, classical use of harmonies, and SPEED!! haha. We are looking to slow things down a bit however, bringing more rhythmic syncopation and a little groovier style along with atmospheric qualities with what we already have going on.
You are definitely a great technical guitar player. How are your studies in musical composition coming along? When is the graduation date for your degree? Also, once complete, what are your aspirations? 
Man, thank you so much. Studying theory and composition is a very long and tedious process, especially for being a lowly self-taught metal guitarist haha. I enjoy studying with my peers and teachers though, I have a really fun time playing in my jazz ensemble as well, a different environment to say the least. I’m going to get my Associates in Arts with a field of study in music this semester, after that I should be getting my bachelors in composition within the next two years. Although lately I’ve been thinking of changing to music education. IF I get all that done I would like to find a teaching job teaching guitar at a music studio or a private school.
DannyCarroll.jpgLast up, what’s in the future? Any new recordings planned? 
We are currently writing new material for a full length we want to get out as soon as possible. So just taking care of that and hopping on some shows! We’ve also been wanting to organize a tour so we might try to get that going to promote the new EP

Now give some final words. 
All I want to say is a huge thanks to yourself for asking me to do this, you’re a badass in every way possible. And thanks to everyone whos supported us so far! We have many great things in store so stay tuned! 

https://www.facebook.com/nephilimterror

No comments:

Post a Comment