Friday, June 3, 2016

KRVSHR - Disgusting Horror Hiding in the Darkness



INTERVIEW WITH GUITARIST JASON
Your band has been busy spreading a hateful, dark sound around these parts. When hearing your music I imagine being in a filthy, dark place filled with disease. In my book that’s a complement. Can you tell us how the band formed and what was the goal early on?
Steven and I had started writing riffs about 10 years ago and tried to get people to jam under the name Churchburner. We all but abandoned the idea until Luke and I sat down one night and discussed starting a band. It was very important to me that Steven was involved. Met Mike through Dave Ellington. Knew Adam (first drummer) for years as well.
That first record turned out to be the soundtrack to my divorce. My wife and I have since reconciled, but that was a terrible and dark time. Mike had just gotten out of rehab and needed a good group of dudes that wouldn't push him towards living like shit.
The goal was, and is, to do whatever the fuck we want. Fuck labels. Doom. Metal. Hardcore. Whatever. It's all punk rock.

The members have all been in a variety of different styled bands in the past. How is the writing chemistry between contrasting backgrounds?
Writing works like this: I show up with an assload of riffs, we put them together. Then a song happens. Luke and I played in Pride Kills, but I was also jamming in Bowel at the same time. Before hardcore became the same thing as nu-metal, I considered it all the same. It still should be. Integrity, Burning Witch, Slayer, Goatsnake, Negative Approach, His Hero is Gone...all the same shit. None of us ever got into that "flat billed hat rapcore" shit so we don't have any hurdles there. Haha

The name Krvshr definitely complements the music. Who came up with the idea to spell it in this odd fashion?
Well we had a million name ideas that everyone had already "taken". We were set on Churchburner, but the guys from Vital Remains have a band called that. Mike grew up in a black metal scene, so KRVSHR is a nod to the cult side of music but still explains what we do: crush. He came up with the name.

Let’s talk about the Church Burner 12”. Was it all completely self funded? I believe you told me it was pressed in Europe. How was that process?
All self funded. All tracks are single take. We paid for every bit of everything ourselves. Including the dinner plate thick vinyl. Our shit got out sourced to the Czech Republic and they sent back covers that were fucking pixelated. The dude that initially recorded us fucked us around real bad, so we bought our own pre production studio and send it out to Greg at Earhammer in Oakland for final mix and master. The new shit destroys the old shit and we will be re recording hill people and soul eater.
The process of dealing with a shitbag producer is so fucking shitty and ruins the whole process. You couldn't pay me enough to deal with that shit again.

Also I know you have a split release coming out with BLK OPS. Will that be vinyl as well? When can we expect that to hit the streets?
BLK OPS split. We are label shopping right now. Not sure when it's dropping. But it's brutal as hell.

I really like the lyrics. They are simple, yet extremely dark. Can you go into detail about the lyric writing process, the themes and inspiration? What is “Hill People” about? By the way, that is my favorite Krvshr song.
Hill people is about mongoloid freaks stealing your children. Simple enough. We are currently writing a full length that contains 75% songs like that.

Besides creating brutality, you are also a tattoo artist. How did you get into the industry and what is your favorite style to tattooing?
Been involved in the industry going on 20 years. Tattooing 13 years. I prefer old American style above all.

 

Lastly, give me some final words.
Shit, no one really wants to hear what I have to say. I am currently disgusted with the state of underground music. Hardcore got ruined by paper gangsters. "Doom metal" seems to be a bunch of pg13 rehashed sabbath riffs. Metal is dominated by overproduced garbage. People love to look scary and edgy and blah blah blah, but the "heart" of it all seems to have all but vanished. Now it's the image. Stupid fucking selfies. People making tough faces. I’d love to make a funeral pyre full of flat billed hats and rock n roll vests. The only good new shit anymore is the newest Leviathan.
https://krvshr.bandcamp.com/releases
https://www.facebook.com/feastforvulturestx/?fref=photo

No comments:

Post a Comment